Low self esteem or a lack of confidence is a bitch! There I said it. Let’s just get that out of the way first and foremost. When you are struggling with your self esteem or confidence in yourself it is really hard, and it sucks! Not having faith in yourself or doubting yourself makes you feel like shit! Believe me I get it. I have been there done that got the t-shirt thought out my personal development and growth journey. I remember those moments so vividly beating myself up left and right because there was nothing I could do right, I hated myself, and I couldn’t even comprehend having self esteem or confidence in myself. So when I tell you that I understand I mean I understand! As someone who was excessively bullied throughout her life (a story for another time) I want you to know that I have been there, and that it is possible for that feeling to change. Having said that I think for women self esteem and confidence is an even bigger demon much of the time. I mean society is telling us everything we should and shouldn’t be or do, and in many cases in constantly feels like we are being beaten down by life. Because I know that these feelings plague so many of you, and hey myself included at times, I wanted to talk about five signs to look out for that may be a sign you are low in self confidence.
- negative self talk: Oh boy is this one of my big struggles! Constantly beating yourself up, tearing yourself down, and bashing yourself is one of the first signs that you are lack self esteem because you aren’t valuing yourself enough to speak kindly to yourself.
- comparison: If you have been around the blog for a while then you know that comparison is one of my least favorite things in the entire world! I firmly believe that is the thief of joy in our lives. Comparing ourselves to those around us does nothing but make us feel like we aren’t good enough as we are. News flash!! That’s not a good feeling.
- letting fear stop you: Fear is often our biggest roadblock to success because it is almost always debilitating. When fear strikes it is often a sign that we don’t believe in ourselves enough to achieve our goals.
- fear of sharing your views and opinions: One of the big signs that you are lacking in self confidence is the fear of voicing your opinions or values/views because you worry what people will think of you. But when you are strong in your conviction and value yourself you don’t worry about that.
- social removal or withdrawal: Lastly removing yourself from social interactions is a definite indicator of low self esteem or confidence because there is often a feeling of not wanting to be around or expose one’s self to other people for fear of judgment or critique.
I know that feeling like you aren’t confident or you have low self esteem can be hard, but it isn’t a death sentence so to speak. It just simply means that you have room to love yourself more, and value yourself more. So if you find yourself struggling with low self confidence or that these signs are starting to creep up on you, I challenge you to think about all of the reasons that you are worthy; all of the reasons that you do value and love yourself, and start to shift the way that you think about yourself.